Woman Sends Family To Hospital After Cooking And Serving Wild Mushrooms
A Connecticut family ended up hospitalized, with one woman gravely ill, after eating mushrooms picked from their yard.
Shah Noor, 40, collected the big, white mushrooms from behind her house in Newington and cooked them with onions, garlic and chili peppers. She served the toxic feast to her husband and two adult daughters.
The entire family ended up at the hospital the next day, with 24-year-old Wafa Guloona suffering the most severe symptoms. Her liver nearly shut down and she required days of treatment, including a cocktail of experimental drugs.
Noor, husband Musarat Ullah, 59, and another daughter, Aiman Bibi, 21, were also admitted to the emergency ward and treated with “a charcoal solution that absorbs the toxins and a drug known as N-Acetylcysteine, which helps restore damaged liver cells,” the Hartford Courant reported.